onsdag 31. oktober 2007

Trick or treat



A couple of minutes ago my doorbell rang. Me and my dog opened the door and in the darkness outside was four little monsters with their buckets and bags outstretched. "Knask eller knep!" they shouted. That means of course "Trick or treat" in Norwegian. Or rather "treat or trick.


Halloween is quite new to our culture. When I was little, this was something we only knew from American movies, and it looked quite exotic and fantastic to us. (being children who only got sweets every saturday when the childrens programme was on telly at six pm)
I must admit I've never really got to like this tradition. Especially the part where the kids plan to throw eggs at the house in case there is no treats to get.
But I buy a lot of sweets every time to prepare, and watch my children get more and more excited as the day approaches, planning their outfits and scary makeup.
So OK! I give in! I realise this thing has come to stay. I'll be nice.
And the little monsters, they run along to their father waiting at the gate, shouting in happy voices: "Dad! we got two lollies each!"

Ingen kommentarer: