tirsdag 16. desember 2008

St. Lucia and Sildesalat

St. Lucia
The 13th of December we celebrate Saint Lucia in Scandinavia
Its probably biggest in Sweeden, but here in Norway this celebration
an important thing mostly in kindergarden and school
What is to be served at this day is Lussekatter
(katter means cats dont ask me the connection)
They're made of sweet yeast dough and made yellow with saffron or turmeric



Sildesalat
Even though I don't like herring in general
I do like one dish where you have to use herring
Me and the herring has a troublesome relationship except with this.
I use salted (or picled herring)
Every ingredient should be cut in to small cubes
Green sour apples

Boiled potatoes
Onion

Pickled beetroot and gherkins (no photo of it) and some of its pickle.
I make a dressing out of mayonnaise, quark and sour cream, salt and pepper
and mix it all in to a salad.
because of the beetroot, it gets pretty pink

And I love it!
And since I'm the only one in this house who does
I have it all myself!
On crisp bread, biscuits or bread.
Or by itself.

8 kommentarer:

Christo Gonzales sa...

maybe because they look like cats eyes?

Anette sa...

Le Chien: I've checked it out, according to wikipedia, its from old Germany, and had apparently nothing to do with St. Lucia, but to Lucifer symbolized by a cat who could beat the children, and Jesus who was good, symbolized by the sweet buns, and the yellow color, to protect from the evil. All that in one yellow bun, thats not to bad at all!
Check your mail by the way!

tavolini sa...

ooh--I think the herring / apple spread looks pretty delicious. And such a nice pink!

Darius T. Williams sa...

So - this looks great. I'm thinking I need to celebrate St. Lucia too!

Darius T. Williams sa...

So - this looks great. I'm thinking I need to celebrate St. Lucia too!

Marjie sa...

My husband loves pickled herring. It's one of the few things I can keep in the house that the kids won't eat and leave just an empty container!

buffalodick sa...

Being of Dutch descent, herring is your friend! The spread on the cracker looked tasty!

Anette sa...

Tavolini: yes the color is very nice, and the taste is both sweet, salt and sour.

Darius: I bet you would have enjoyed it!

Marjie: Isn't that great when you find something the kids don't like! (that you like that is)

Buffalodick: I would have guessed that the Dutch were in to herring! The spread is delicious, if you like herring maybe you would like it!